Diving in Greece is a dream come true for anyone who loves marine life.
With crystal-clear waters and diverse underwater landscapes, it’s no wonder that the Greek seas are home to a wide variety of marine creatures. At Divehop, we offer scuba diving experiences in some of the most breathtaking destinations in Greece, including Mykonos, Paros and Santorini. And to help you prepare for your dive, we’ve compiled a list of the 10+1 most common marine species you can encounter during your adventure.
1. Octopus: One of the most fascinating creatures you can see during a dive in Greece is the octopus. Known for their intelligence and ability to camouflage, octopuses can change their color and texture to blend in with their surroundings. Keep your eyes peeled for them hiding in rocky crevices or swimming around in the open water.
2. Damselfish: These black small fish are a common sight on Greek dive sites. Often found in large groups, they are usually easy to spot with their distinctive forked tail. Keep an eye out for the Mediterranean chromis, as well as the more elusive young damselfish with the impressive neon blue stripes.
3. Parrot Fish: The parrot fish is one of the most colorful fish you can spot while diving in Greece. With their bright red, yellow, and white scales, they are hard to miss. These fish are also known for their beak-like mouths, which they use to scrape algae off rocks.
4. Moray Eel: These serpentine creatures can be intimidating to some divers, but they are also a fascinating sight. With their sharp teeth and elongated bodies, moray eels can grow up to 1.5 meters long. They often hide in crevices during the day and come out to hunt at night.
5. Nudibranch: These small, colorful sea slugs are a favorite of macro photographers. With their vibrant colors and intricate patterns, nudibranchs can be found all over the Greek seas. Keep an eye out for the flabellina nudibranch, with its bright purple color and neon spikes.
6. Amberjack: The amberjack is a large, powerful fish that is prized by many anglers. They can grow up to 1.5 meters long and are known for their speed and agility. They are often found in schools around rocky outcrops and wrecks.
7. Barracuda: These predatory fish can be found in many of the deeper dive sites around Greece. With their elongated bodies and sharp teeth, they can be intimidating to some divers. However, barracudas are generally not aggressive towards humans and are often curious about divers.
8. Sea Bream: Sea bream are a common sight on many Greek dive sites. These small, silver fish are known for their oval-shaped bodies and pointed snouts. They often swim in schools around rocky outcrops and seagrass beds.
9. Rainbow Wrasse: These colorful fish are a common sight on many Greek reefs. With their bright blue, green, and yellow hues, they are hard to miss. They are also known for their ability to change color, especially during mating season.
10. Lion Fish: The lion fish is a strikingly beautiful but highly venomous fish that can be found in many of the deeper dive sites in Greece. With their bright red, white, and black stripes and long, flowing fins, they are hard to miss. However, they are also one of the most dangerous fish in the Mediterranean, so it’s important to keep a safe distance.
+1 Sponges and Corals: While not technically a creature, sponges and corals are an essential part of any Greek dive experience. These colorful and fascinating underwater structures provide shelter and food for a variety of marine life, from tiny shrimp to larger fish. Sponges and corals come in a vast array of shapes, sizes, and colors, making them a visually stunning addition to any dive site. In addition to their beauty, they also play a crucial role in maintaining healthy marine ecosystems, as they help filter water and support biodiversity. So don’t forget to take a closer look at these amazing underwater organisms during your next dive in Greece!
With Divehop, you can easily book your dive and explore the best diving locations in Greece. Don’t miss your chance to spot these incredible marine creatures and create unforgettable memories.